Monday 3 June 2013

MLP Party: Rainbow Dash Party Invites

My little Pony themed Invites for a paper crafter are a little tricky .... Do you attempt to cut out a whole pony? Do you go for a general girlie invite and add a pony at the end? Cutie Marks? Or just give in and print something?


 
As those of you following on Facebook will have seen I eventually went down the Rainbow route. In this case it was for Rainbow Dash the pony, but these could easily be used for a generic Rainbow Party.
 

 
There are lots of great rainbow and cloud dies out there, but budget and common sense told me that I probably wouldn't get enough use out of it to warrant buying one, so I used my existing dies. This isn't exactly a tutorial, but I thought I'd share how I made my rainbows using Spellbinders Circle dies in case it helps anyone else :)
 
What I used for the rainbows:
- 1 set of Small Classic Circles Die from Spellbinders
Red card
Orange Card
Yellow Card
Green Card
Blue Card
Purple/Violet Card


 
I started with the second smallest die, and cut a circle with from the purple card, then used the 3rd smallest on the blue, the 4th of Green etc.. until I had the full 6 colours. I then carefully glued these together with spray mount.

 
Once the glue had had time to set, I ran the whole thing through my big shot again with the smallest of the dies carefully positioned in the centre of the purple circle (I used a tiny bit of masking tape so as not to ruin the surrounding paper). You may need to run it though several times (depending on the thickness of the card used) or in my case I let it cut though to the yellow layer, then removed the 'hole' so far and ran it through again. Then use scissors or a paper cutter to chop the whole thing in half, and Ta-da! you have a two rainbows.
 
 
For the rest of the card I cut some light blue card into A6 size and ran it through the big shot with the largest of the Spellbinders Labels #17, and did a little 'cloudy' distressing around the edges with Ranger's 'Salty Ocean'.
 
 
To finish I cut some white clouds by using a topping from a cupcake die set and cut the tip off the icing peaks (I used Marieanne Creatables but other cupcake dies could work just as well). I used Kaisercraft party Invitation dies to add the main text. Printed a 'Rainbow Dash' image from google, cut it with a circle punch and mounted it on a scalloped circle in silver card (a postal friendly version of a flattened bottle cap). I added her name to the cloud letter by letter with an alphabet die, and used a Pink 3 (Tim Holtz Vintage Market place) to remind everyone of her age :)


No comments:

Post a Comment